So here we are.
Happy New Year!
Welcome to the blog story that is traditional.
Like Sgt. Hulka used to say in the movie Stripes: “before we proceed any further, we gotta get something straight.”
I’m going to be taking this blog to new heights. It’s not just going to be the same old song and dance. Nope, that is going to be one and done. It’s going to more that just one blog story. No matter if you are in America or in freaking India, be ready. This blog thing will get real. If I got to get my Periscope, or own video thing on here to help my stories, well: that’s what I have to do. What does all this mean? It means that I have to get better with the idea of blogging. I have to. It’s not just that thing that needs to be done, it must be done to improve. To inspire and yes, to get to the point of view that I need to display.
Yes folks will walk tall, shoulders back, chin up, conscious up to the 10th level, and of course this is an idea that would be benefical. I thought about destroying this blog and ending a 10+ year streak, all because of other concerns of boredom or that same story. But wait…..this could be a benefit to help and inspire. While many might think that one story from a blog is all there is, think again.
Stephen’s Spot is not just about one blog. Or one picture. Or one anything. It can be revolutionary, inspirational, conscious, fun, life experienced, or just plain normal. It’s not a one dance show. It’s one in the million that can be experienced if many take the time to read more than one. Now, I know many are just now discovering the blog based on what I written back in 2014 or whatever. But if you (yes you) the reader actually like what I write here, in a sense of right now, thank you.
Knowingly I can’t control what others might read, but by me writing more, and thinking more, it will be fully objectionable for me to carry on. I’m in the age bracket of 40 years old, and yes this age bracket will indeed test my theory and summarize.
So guess what: you want Stephen’s Spot? I’ve give you Stephen’s Spot!
So for now: let’s start my New Year’s Tradition of Stephen’s Spot that doesn’t need a repeat: What do want to see and not want to see in 2017! 17 things by the way.
First Five I want to see in THAT YEAR OF 2017:
1) Time to work folks. If this is the year that you will get that real job, the time is now. No more wasting time by waiting on others. It won’t work. We need to have a Career Awareness Month. We need to have better job fairs, career expos, have a “seasonal vet” career fair for the mature folks. Not that watered down stuff that many are getting. Even if you still have that degree in display, that many will pass up. Gotta do better.
2) If you got to get yourself checked. Do it. You know where the doctors are. As well as the dentists, eye examination folks and more. Matter of fact some of them might be near you right now. And while were at it, we need to for real get educated about the issues of health. I hear say, “you need to do this or that”. or “you need a flu shot.” BEFORE ANY THAT HAPPENS: ASK QUESTIONS! Forget what you saw on Facebook, know that real stuff first!
3) 2017 means that the New Congress will take over. If any of the new members screw up, get on their case!
4) You know that 2017 is a voting year. Oh you didn’t know this? Pay attention! It’s not the presidential election, but maybe some of your county judges or school folks will be running on the ballot. Do better!
5) Speaking of the voting thing, this would be a time to get your voter registration checked and/or updated to get ready for the 2017 election. I want to see this happen even more. Plus in the future like all these health months, why can’t we have a Voter Awareness Month?
Next Five I don’t want to see:
6) I don’t want to see no one complaining about the lack of this or that in the church. If you don’t have a certain something going in your church then make something happen!
7) I don’t want to see black folks putting other black folks down. No matter what happens we must continue to look in the mirror and raise up. Jobs, contributions, etc.
8) Never EVER OVERLOOK THIS – Black Queens: you say you love us Black Kings right? Here is a challenge that you might not think. Cater to us for ONE DAY at a restaurant, or maybe give us a day that we might enjoy. Think it over! Many of you got Brothers, Fathers, Uncles, Husbands, Boyfriends, Cousins, Neighbors, and many other male influences that you probably know that need that appreciation! You guys go all out for your thing and we’re in the seats. Why not us?
9) I don’t want to see credit checks on black folks no more. Matter of fact, not on anyone anywhere with credit checks!
10) I don’t want to see those who didn’t vote gloat. After all, most you don’t like Donald Trump after he won, well guess what: Elections have Consequences.
Five More things I want to see:
11) I want to see more of us reinvest in our Alumni Groups. Not just for the class reunions and everyone also shows up broke, mad, left out and uninformed.And by the way, if you see an Alumni Rep at your class reunion, don’t get no attitude about your daughter or son in college needing money and you think that your old High School has no money. That will not work!!!! Just dumb. Have you heard of Scholarships, like churches hand out every year?
12) I want see the results of us doing the work. Not just the partial results of patting on the back and say nice work. But also what did it took to get the results needed. And if your employer is celebrating a milestone of service (10, 20, etc), give him or her the due of respect. It’s the right thing to do.
13) I want us non scared and scared grown folks in the Black Church Groups to talk to our youth. Seriously talk to them. Some of them need us to come to them. I don’t care if they are in the schools shooting basketballs or at the community centers playing Madden. Or double dutching or learning a praise dance. Even tutoring!
14) I want to see more black folks in the communities whom think there is nothing there to do, start something! Stop complaining!
15) And plus, here is a thought: I want to see ALL fraternities, and ALL sororities to recruit and meet up with seasoned vets that can help out. Especially those of the black fraternities and sororities. All of the Divine 9 folks: From the Alphas to the Iotas and from the AKA’s to the Sigma Gamma Rho’s: Have a day in which YOU need to go out to the seasoned vets of those whom are 40 ish that want to join up to support the groups you represent. And also don’t be so judgmental about those whom are at that 40’s range. Best place to find us: either at our church events, alumni group meetings, etc.
Final two: want not to see and want to see.
16) Of all the things I don’t want to see: enough of the blame on Black Lives Matter that seemed violent or racist. For all you Blue Lives Matter, or copying off the Black Lives Matter Movement, you will suck. Instead of hating on Black Lives Matter at least go to a meeting or hear from those who lost a brother, or sister or a parent that was black. Take notes Blue Lives Matter.
17) Get lucky! Get lucky in all there is. We know what we need to do, and what to do this year. So why not get involved! And the time is right now!
Happy New Year!