Well readers, the rules are back. My rules in which many must follow, or to simply just to give advice. For this it’s the new traditional Stephen’s Spot Rules of Summerfest. For this it’s a review, and plus a new twist for 2015.
First, let’s go over what I said last time in a long sentence mixed with something new.
Since Summerfest is well known in Milwaukee, I know about the place very well. I volunteered at the place, saw some shows, and worked in the late 90’s plus the year of 2000. I know the gates, security things, and the places to park near and far from the venue. So if you ready to party like crazy, start learning and reviewing.
1) Summerfest is 11 days. Except June 29th. And everyday there will days where you can get in free. Learn it! Especially the timeframes given. Like today, there was free way to get in for donations for hunger from Noon – 3:00pm . Please PAY ATTENTION TO THE TIMES! And pay attention to the news and radio promos about Summerfest as well.
2) The park does have information booths. Need a program? They have them. Or for the mobile folks you can download them via the net or straight to your smart-phone. Your choice.
3) CALLOUT: If you are an out of towner and have been stuck on the Wisconsin highway for about 2 and half hours getting to the park, that is your loss! The reason why I’m saying this because when I was working for the company, I got hollered by a man (a white man from Illinois mind you) about him being stuck on our highways for two hours. He verbally asked for the manager and the freaking former mayor John Norquist of all people. I am not making this up. This is a true story working at the main gate back in ’99. Keep in mind, that usually Summerfest Security doesn’t control the freeways for the patrons to get to the park. My advice for you Wisconsin visitors (that yes the traffic will be hectic), get there early. Like a day early. Or hours early when traffic is not huge.
4) If you ever think that you’ll be videotaping for your own personal use in or near the park (i.e. camcorders/video equipment), don’t record nothing! Knowing security they will take away the recording devices. They got rules for that. And the same goes for the Amp!
5) If you’re about to pick up a ticket for a concert and if you run into a member of Security or Admissions to pay them for the assistance to wait or ask questions to assist, don’t even try it! Buy the ticket and get an early pick up, or a mailing.
6) Cameras(mostly small cameras) are allowed on the grounds. It’s cool. But in the Amp, Nope. They won’t allow it.
7) Like bathrooms, and merchandise areas, there are ATMs on the grounds. Be sure to spot them just in case you need that extra green.
8) Leave your weapons of swiss army knives at home! The red shirts will take them, as well as any other suspicious item that is deemed dangerous. Just a word of warning.
9) Usually the workers in the colored shirts don’t reveal their names. Best advice, know their numbers! Like 563.
10) For the first time goers: Summerfest attracts big crowds. Just a word of warning. Even on the 4th of July.
11) Best thing to ride at the grounds: Besides the arcades and the interactive stuff: Skygliders. Take them. It’s legendary and use your cameras for sky pics!
12) Don’t be afraid to help those who don’t know much about the park. Give them some pointers!
13) For the bus folks, as you know Summerfest got shuttles (MCTS, Restaurants, Bars, etc) . You know the deal. No need to tell you.
14) They say that Summerfest has nothing for the kids. Um…they do. Look at the children’s theater schedules, and they have a Children’s Fest day.
15) Yes, you can buy food and drinks at the park. BUT…………if you buy food on the outside as well as drinks trying to get in, can’t do it. Just like having cans and/or glass bottles. (Just a thought from my Security days)
16) If it’s raining and if you have an Umbrella, yes you can bring it. BUT…….not in the amp. If its hot, better take a towel just in case. If you get hurt, injured or get sick, Summerfest does have First Aid Stations!
17) Like any other venue, there are areas that you can lock up your stuff. Ask the personnel in the info booths for that.
18) Upon entry, you will be searched. Just a heads up. Bags, strollers, etc. Expect the pat downs and maybe overhead security things.
19) Now check this, if you bought a concert ticket to see Kendrick Lamar or any other headliner at the Amp, yes, you can get through the gates with that as well. Mostly the South Gate.
20) Keep in mind, Summerfest does have cameras all around the park. If you mess up, don’t expect to be spotted or thrown out! Warning for those who might be drunk in all. I’m just saying!
21) For the record: Pets are NOT allowed at the park. BUT……….service animals are acceptable as well as many other needs for the elderly and disabled.
22) And as far as parking: Many know well that parking can be a hassle for a good spot. My advice, look for the areas near the park, like parking lots near Michigan or Jefferson Streets. U.S. Bank near Cass Street has festival parking available for those who want to use it. Yep, pay the required amount. Plus also if you have a concert ticket plus a parking validation with it, you are straight.
23) For the record, Summerfest does have urban acts lined up: Buddy Guy, Shelia E., Schoolboy Q, Stevie Wonder, Aloe Blacc, The Isley Brothers, Public Enemy, Santigold, Lupe Fiasco, etc. Check them out. Even our own locals of the Terry Sims Band, Rusty P’s, Love Peace and Soul, Esnavi, Webster X. PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT MILWAUKEE!!!!!!
24) And last but not least: Currently, Construction is a beast. Take caution and be safe. Really it is. For Summerfest’s rules of the park, see here.
Caught up yet? Good.
NEW STUFF THIS YEAR!
This year, there is a new addition to the mix of the concerts: For those who can’t make it to a concert, you would be able to watch them via the internet. YES!!!! A First for Summerfest! If you go to nowlive.com right now, and click on the Summerfest graphic, you’ll get a “preview” of the scenes that would happen when the shows begin. Plus also you can watch them via your tablet or PC and crank up the sound as if you’re there in person. Again, this is a first!
For all you UBER drivers or Lyft Drivers, I hope you got your plans set up for the extra green. No need to tell you. Or those Ubering a chance to earn money for the big gig rides. Feel free to sign up here. Lyft Drivers, I don’t know about you, I’m assuming that many of you are probably making ideas for your drivers to set up the schedules.
Even though it’s relatively new, feel free to leave your mark on the festival with a brick. No really, you can! Check out the “Brick Order” on the Summerfest website. It has a variety of prices on it, but it is worth to have your name etched in stone for life!
For the Power Pass Users, you’re lucky! Use that pass to get in for the shows of your choice.
If going to the BMO Harris Pavillion Stage for a show, you might have a “Blue Circle Seat Pass” for the acts. Some of the passes are sold out, but there are those you can get depending on the shows. For more information, click here.
For you future Summerfest Milwaukee performers out there: get on ReverbNation!
For another info that you need to ask, comment or question, either business or personal, consult the Summerfest Website for details.
Now, go party!