I was one of the many African-Americans who probably didn’t watch SNL in a while that did watch. And laughed.
Two words: Kerry Washington.
We know that in the past 39 years of Saturday Night Live, only 4 women of color had been apart of the skits part of the ongoing comedic series. No question there were black males ranging from Garrett Morris (aka Stan, Junior King), Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Kenan Thompson, Jay Pharoh and many others that passed through. Now since Kerry was on the show as a host, SNL better wake up! I’m Just saying.
I think it was a huge content for SNL to have a well known Black Actress like Kerry Washington to jumpstart something that has been in the drought since Maya Rudolph left the show years back.
For those of us who well……missed the mark, take a look of a rundown of Kerry’s skits. By the way, can SNL bring in more black females to represent? Better to “Change the Culture.” Even if it’s a legendary show full of comics.
- “SNL” Actually Felt Diverse Last Night Thanks To Kerry Washington (complex.com)
- Did She Bring The Funny? Watch Kerry Washington’s Skits On SNL (madamenoire.com)
- Kerry Washington Parodies ‘What Does the Fox Say?’ on SNL (people.com)
- Lack of black women becomes ‘SNL’ issue (suntimes.com)
- Host Kerry Washington highlights diversity troubles plaguing SNL (theguardian.com)